Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in Intra or interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
(4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

Completed the attached document MCS 150. Then use the following link to apply online. Through the online process you will receive a USDOT number that must be displayed on both sides of the power unit for a qualifying vehicle.

First apply for a USDOT number, Here is the website link:

A word of caution prior to applying

Second apply for Unified Carrier Registration for operation across state lines here is the website link:

Third if operating across state lines in commerce transporting any hazardous materials (Race cars contain fuel which is a hazardous material, generators, and fuel cans) an MCS 90 must be completed. I’ve attached the application and here is the link to completing it online:

Additional educational resources:

Inspector Teresa Burchard
Wisconsin State Patrol

911 W. North St.
Deforest Wi 53532
(608)846-8500 ext 1502